Residence Permit for the Purpose of Family Reunification
We received tons of questions about the residence permit for the purpose of family reunification (generally called by family visa), so we tried to answer these requests in a brief summary below.
When can you apply for a residence permit for the purpose of family reunification?
- if you have third-country nationality only, and
- if you do not enter Hungary with or you do not join to an EEA Citizen (excluding the Hungarian citizens) to whom you are considered a family member.
Who can be considered a family member?
- spouse of a Hungarian national or a third-country national;
- the minor child (including adopted and foster children) of a third-country national with his/her spouse;
- the minor child, including adopted and foster children, of a third-country national where this third-country national has parental custody and the children are dependent on him/her;
- the minor child, including adopted and foster children, of the spouse of a third-country national where the spouse has parental custody and the children are dependent on him/her;
- a person having and exercising parental custody of a minor child and living in the same household with the minor.
The longest validity period of the Residence Permit for the Purpose of Family Reunification could change based on your family status:
- three years in general,
- four years if your family member has an EU Blue Card,
- five years if your family member is a Hungarian citizen.
In addition, the validity period is determined by many other factors as well. E.g., the expiry date of the person’s residence permit to whom you are considered a family member, or the expiry date of your passport.
Processing time :
not more than 21 days in general (the processing time could be longer if the decision depends on another person’s residence permit application, or you plan to enter into an employment relationship as well).
- You are allowed to work in Hungary, as a private entrepreneur. In order to be a Private Entrepreneur, a separate registration has to be made at the Government Office (i.e. this is not related to the Immigration Office) after their residence permit is applied.
- Stay in other Schengen countries up to 90 days within any 180-day period of time without obtaining a C-type Schengen visa. Passport and this issued residence permit are required when staying in this Schengen country.
- EUR 60 in case of new residence permit application at one of the Consulate of Hungary.
- HUF 18 000, in case of a new residence permit application at the Immigration Office in Hungary.
- HUF 10 000, in case of a residence permit extension at the Immigration Office in Hungary.
Citizens of Ukraine are exempt to pay the above-mentioned application fees.
If you have any questions, contact us, or learn more information at our concerning page: