This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine

Hungarian residence card and address card for other purpose of stay

General Description

On a general basis, a third-country national Family Member of an EEA or Swiss citizen has to obtain a Residence Card and report his/her first Hungarian address at the Immigration Office (official name: National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing) withtin 93 days if staying in Hungary more than 90 days within a 180-day period. The Residence Card has to be applied for in Hungary, therefore, generally, this Third-country National has to obtain a C-type Schengen visa before entering Hungary to file the application.

When can you apply for a Residence Card and an Address Card?

  • If you have third-county nationality only.
  • If you enter Hungary with or you join to an EEA Citizen to whom you are considered a family member.
  • Validity Period

  • at least 91 days.
  • not more than .
  • If you intend to stay for more than five years, you can extend this validity period shortly before the expiry date of this residence card.

    Place of Application

    Immigration Office in Hungary (the appropriate directorate is located in the region of your prospective Hungarian address).

    Application Fee

    HUF 1,500 (circa EUR 4).

    Time period of decision-making:

    Not more than 70 days.


    You have the right of free movement and stay. This right is not a result of the obtainment of the Residence Card, but the fact that you are a Family Member of an EEA Citizen. Having the right of free movement and stay, you can perform studies (even in a state-funded program), being employed without working authorisation requirement or work and you can live with many further rights that other EEA or Hungarian citizens have.

    In order to be a Private Entrepreneur, separate registration has to be made at the Government Office (i.e. this is not related to the Immigration Office).


  • Report a change in the relationship with the your Family Member having an EEA citizenship (e.g., death, divorce or break-up the registered partnership) towards the Immigration Office.
  • Inform the Immigration Office if your Residence Card, Address Card, ID card or Passport is stolen, lost or destroyed.
  • Report towards the Immigration Office if your Residence Card, Address Card, ID card or Passport that was believed to be lost (and this fact was reported to the Immigration Office) was finally found.
  • Obtain a new Residence Card, Address Card, ID card or Passport if your previous one were stolen, lost, destroyed or became invalid.

  • If you leave the territory of Hungary with final intention, you can hand over your Residence Card and Address Card to the Immigration Office.

    Services & Pricing

    Residence Card for other purpose

    Service Title:
    Obtaining Residence Card and Hungarian Address Card for Family Members of EEA Citizens

    We offer in this service:
  • compile a list of all the documents required for the application,
  • review the application documents,
  • assist in preparing the application package,
  • give guidance in booking an appointment at the Immigration Office to initiate the application procedure,
  • assist you in filing the application and accompany you to the Immigration Office.

  • Pricing:

    In case of more than one individual, we provide discount from our standard price of EUR 1,100*.

    *The above-mentioned fees do not include value added tax and reasonable additional costs, such as costs of posting or courier services (if any).

    Our Posts

    Read our Insights, Perspectives and Thinkings that might be interesting for you: