This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine

C-type Schengen Visa for the purpose of Studies or Trainings in Hungary for a Family Member of an EEA citizen

General Description

A C-type Schengen visa might have to be obtained for you before you enter Hungary, depending on your citizenship. Annex 1 of "Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 of the European Parliament and of the Council" lists those countries whose citizens are required to obtain C-type Schengen visa before entering the Schengen area (including Hungary) for not more than 90 days. If you are a family member of an EEA citizen whom you are entering Hungary with or whom you are joining to, you have the right of the free movement and stay within the Schengen area. In spite of this right, if you have visa-required citizenship only, generally you need to obtain a C-type Schengen visa.

Who have to apply for?

Annex II of this Regulation lists those countries whose citizens are exempt from C-type Schengen visa obtainment and able to enter and stay in the territory of Schengen (including Hungary) for not more than 90 days. In case of travelling regularly in and out of travel of the Schengen area, the number of days spent in the Schengen area has to be added up and the mentioned 90-day stay limit has to be understood as the sum of the days spent in the Schengen within any consecutive 180 days.

Visa-free countries (Annex II of Regulation (EU) 2018/1806):
Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (only if having biometric passport) Andorra, United Arab Emirates (only if having biometric passport), Antigua and Barbuda, Albania (only if having biometric passport), Argentina, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina (only if having biometric passport), Barbados, Brunei, Brazil, Bahamas, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica (only if having biometric passport), Micronesia (only if having biometric passport), Grenada (only if having biometric passport), Georgia, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Kiribati (only if having biometric passport), Saint Kitts and Nevis, South Korea, Saint Lucia (only if having biometric passport), Monaco, Moldova (only if having biometric passport), Montenegro (only if having biometric passport), Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Malaysia, Nicaragua, Nauru, New Zealand, Panama, Peru, Palau, Paraguay, Serbia (only if having biometric passport and excluding holders of Serbian passports issued by the Serbian Coordination Directorate), Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Singapore, San Marino, El Salvador, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Ukraine (only if having biometric passport), United States, Uruguay, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela, Vanuatu, Samoa, Hong Kong (having passport of Special Administrative Region), Maca (having passport of Special Administrative Region), British nationals (Overseas), British Overseas territories Citizens, British Overseas Citizens, British Protected Persons, British Sibjects, Taiwan.
Visa-required countries (Annex II of Regulation (EU) 2018/1806):
Afghanistan, Armenia, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Bahrain, Burundi, Benin, Bolivia, Bhutan, Botswana, Belarus, Belize, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon, China, Cuba, Cape Verde, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Algeria, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Ghana, The Gambia, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, India, Iraq, Iran, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia, Comoros, North Korea, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Laos, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Lesotho, Libya, Morocco, Madagascar, Mali, Myanmar/Burma, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Nepal, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Somalia, Suriname, South Sudan, São Tomé and Príncipe, Syria, Chad, Togo, Thailand, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Tanzania, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Although if your citizenship is indicated in the Annex I, obtaining C-type Schengen visa might not be needed (e.g., you already have a valid C-type Schengen visa or a valid Residence Permit issued by the Hungarian authorities or another Schengen Country).

Validity period

By having a C-type schengen visa, a maximum of 90-day stay is allowed in the Schengen area (counted within a 180-day period). However, the responsible authority takes many circumstances into consideration when it determines the validity period of the issued C-type Schengen visa (e.g., your submitted supporting documents and your travel history).

Place of Application

  • Consulate of Hungary located in the country of your citizenship, or
  • Consulate of Hungary located in the country of your habitual residence.
  • Visa Fee

  • EUR 0.
  • Time period of decision-making

  • there is no exact time limit with this regard, but it is expected to be issued within significantly less than the normal 15 day processing time.

  • Services & Pricing

    C-type Schengen Visa Application for a Family Member of an EEA Citizen

    Service Title:
    Obtaining C-type Schengen Visa for Family Members of EEA citizens

    We offer in this service:
  • compile a list of all the documents required for the application,
  • review the application documents,
  • assist in preparing the application package,
  • give guidance in booking an appointment at the Consulate of Hungary to file the application package,
  • send the application documents to you for submission at the Consulate of Hungary.

  • Pricing:

    In case of more than one Student, we provide discount from our standard price of EUR 700*.

    *The above-mentioned fees do not include value added tax and reasonable additional costs, such as costs of posting or courier services (if any).

    Posts for Students

    Our Insights, Perspectives and Thinkings that might be interesting for Students: